Dental Blog - Greenacres, FL
Tips, Facts, And The
Latest In Dentistry
Dental Implants in Boca Raton | What Are Endosteal Implants
An endosteal implant is a type of dental implant that is drilled right into your jawbone. This procedure is considered safe by The American Dental Association and this can greatly help patients restore their smile after missing one tooth or many. The endosteal implant is widely used in dentistry and is typically made of titanium. The two common types of endosteal implants are a cylinder, also called “screw-type”, and blade. The type of endosteal implant selected is based on the quality of the bone, the amount of the bone, and the patient’s expectations of how the final restoration will look, feel and function. There are to main types of dental implants in Boca Raton: the endosteal implant and the subperiosteal implant.
Are Endosteal Implants Right for You
Your oral surgeon or your dentist will determine the type of dental implant that would work best for you. Important criteria to meet to become a viable candidate for endosteal implants include:
- Excellent oral health and general health
- Healthy gum tissue
- A fully-developed jawbone
- Sufficient amount of bone for support
- An inability or unwillingness to wear dentures
Most importantly, you should not smoke or use tobacco products. You must be ready to commit several weeks or even months for healing time and waiting for new bone growth in your jaw.
What If You Don’t Qualify for Endosteal Implants?
If your dentist believes that endosteal implants are not right for you, they may recommend alternatives, such as:
- Subperiosteal implants – Implants that are placed on or above the jawbone as opposed to “into the jawbone”.
- Bone Augmentation – Involves augmenting or restoring your jawbone using bone additives and growth factors.
- Ridge Expansion – Bone graft material is added to a small ridge created along the top of your jaw.
- Sinus Augmentation – Bone is added below the sinus. This procedure is also referred to as “sinus elevation” or “sinus lift”.
Not Sure What Type of Dental Implants in Boca Raton is Right for You?
If you are interested to learn more about our dental implants in Boca Raton, schedule an appointment with us today at Ferber Dental Group. If you need a dental implant procedure done, contact us!